Sunday, July 17, 2011

Supporting Faculty and Students in Developing Personal Learning Networks

When I first started this class, I actually had no idea what "web 2.0" meant. Now it is safe to say, I have a grasp on the concept!
Web 2.0 tools can help bridge the communication gap between all stakeholders in your school. With time at a premium in everyone's lives, podcasts, blogs, and other communication tools provide many facets to help keep everyone informed about what in happening within your school setting. We all know how our students LOVE to use their cell phones, why not give them a reason to utilize these devices in an educational way that helps develop and nurture a more positive school climate?
Now with this being stated, do I think that the use of web 2.0 tools is going to "miraculously" turn a none caring & disinterested parent, student, or even school employee into a well informed motivated stake holder? Not at all. On the other hand, it sure makes the excuse list ALOT shorter! Right of wrong, that's An Independent's View.

5 comments:

  1. Shannon,
    I am so excited that you have added another technology resource to your toolbox. I think you once you really begin integrating and modeling the use of these Web 2.0 tools, it will be easy to convince others to follow, even the unmotivated and disinterested parent and students. I believe that even the most hard core and hard to reach students can be saved with the use of technology.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meant to type "I think once you really begin....." I had one too many "Yous\." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon,

    As I was reading your post, I thought about the comment you made about students loving to use their cell phone. I am going to encourage teachers to have students begin using Ipadio. Students can summarize what happened in class for other students that missed class. Students can begin to practice their communication skills and placing them on the Internet, the student can improve in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Using Web 2.0 tools can have a huge impact on teaching and learning. I think that students will become motivated if they are allowed to use cell phones in class. Of course this is not an end all to student engagement. I think that every little bit helps. We need to harness the free tech tools that we have and use them to our advantage to engage teachers, students, and parents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shannon,
    Like you, I had no idea of 2.0 Web tools were or how to use them in my professional world. I can tell through the posts that we have all grown professionally in creating additional PLNs and using 2.0 Web tools. I am sure you will make a huge impact in your learning community through your Action Plan that will be reflected in your Showcase. Enjoyed learning with you. Have a great year!

    ReplyDelete